Monday, January 6, 2014

On Dreamscapes - Beat #0006 - Clarity - Zedd

What's in a dreamscape?


Before I answer this question, I would like to share how I've recently discovered that the music video for the incredibly popular song Clarity was directed by Jonathan Desbiens, aka Jodeb. I've noticed a similarity amongst many of his music videos. They all feel like dreams. This isn't any undue compliment given to Jodeb by me or anything. Seriously, all his music videos look like they could have been dreamed up one night by a random person.

Look at his music videos for Porter Robinson's Language, or his work for Sebastian Ingrosso's and Tommy Trash's Reload. They all have the same characteristic:
  • Insanely random settings
  • Incredibly fast paced change between settings of each scene (inclusive of time and place)
  • Settings and scenes sometimes are not directly related to one another
  • For some reason, even though this is the case, everything still seems in order, in the bigger picture
  • Magic realism
  • Danger/ Chase scene
  • There's always an important human element
  • And an equally important non-human element
  • There's the mega-jumping/mega-traveling element on the part of the human
I find that this is the brand of his work. It stands out as his and his alone, but at the same time, I can't help but think that any one of his music videos could have been something I dreamed one night, because dreams act like that too. I find that the elements I see in his music videos above are also elements to 90% of dreams I have encountered in my own personal sandman land. Interesting thought though: are all dreams like this? What do you think?

BONUS: Watch Jodeb's directorial work on three EDM videos!




***

File under: Beat#0006 - Clarity - Zedd ft. Foxes (Interscope Records)

Last.fm Popularity: 428,755 listeners

Why music bloggers would like it: EDM wunderkind Zedd released this hot track back in 2012, and in 2013, it caught fire. Zedd's album is one whole story, and Clarity is the centerpiece by which it was propelled. A move forward in the right direction for EDM, striking a balance between vivifying house music and heartfelt lyrics from siren Foxes. This house ballad is a musical experience, both for the club, and in one's music player.

Why I really like it: Among my friends, I was the first to discover the song, way back in 2012, before it was famous. I pride myself in being a connoisseur of good music, and this is my proof of it. And my gosh, who wouldn't want to scream those lyrics out is thoughtless stupor.

Fave lyrics: "If you pull, then I'll push too deep, and I'll fall right back to you"

If you liked this, you might also like:
The City - Madeon (popcultur)
Language - Porter Robinson (Ministry of Sound Recordings, Ltd.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment