Tuesday, January 7, 2014

On Wild Things - Beat #0007 - Wild - Royal Teeth

"Never love a wild thing... you can't give your heart to a wild thing: the more you do, the stronger they get. Until they're strong enough to run into the woods. Or fly into a tree. Then a taller tree. Then the sky... If you let yourself love a wild thing. You'll end up looking at the sky." - Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote.


Three wild things that I currently love:
  • Teen Wolf, which is back for the second part of it's third season today. And omg, tumblr is going wild with spoilers, and I am internally crying for all these characters who are suffering on this show. My heart is in pain, and it is because I let myself get so attached to them. Damn you, TW!
  • The Golden State Warriors, the hottest team in the NBA, with a nine-game winning streak. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Who knows. But I do know Steph Curry is my definition of hope, and hope does not disappoint.
  • Log Horizon, an anime series I began watching last year that's already hit it's midseason. I keep coming back for more. The beginning was so good that it makes you question if the latter part of the season will keep the momentum going.
  • You, you wild wild thing, you.
The advice is always "Don't love a wild thing." You can't cage a wild thing. It will always want what it wants. It's whim and fancy are beyond you. But there is beauty in that free-spirited sort of way, and that is why many people are drawn to it. But as with any free spirit, the more you hold on tightly, the more it tend to claw it's way out into freedom. From experience, all I can say is, give it it's space, give it room, and if it finds it proper, it will come back to you. It is wildfire. It is kinetic. It is unexpected. But it will as it wills.



***


File under: Beat#0007 - Wild - Royal Teeth (Dangerbird Records)

Last.fm Popularity: 24,700 listeners

Why music bloggers would like it: The unique rhythmic intro backed by heavier guitar riffs and drumming create a hypnotic and attractive pull that melts into rough male vocals and ethereal female vocals. Almost as if on cue, the song catches you with its annunciation of "I believe I can make you scream." And yes, it actually did, in a good way.

Why I really like it: Considering this is indie rock, I was surprised to hear a rather whiny male vocalist characteristic only of pop punk, which is just the kind of vocals I've loved when I was in my pop punk phase of my life. And have you heard those whistles? That memorably wispy female vocals? Oh my! This song is a combination of all the things I love!

Fave lyrics: "I believe that I can make you scream. For me."

If you liked this, you might also like:
Friday Night - The Last Royals (Ooh La La Recordings)
Young Blood - Saint Raymond (National Anthem)

0 comments:

Post a Comment