Thursday, January 2, 2014

On Hesitation - Beat #0002 - Wait Up (Boots of Danger) - Tokyo Police Club

I have not written poetry in so long, so I might be a bit justy rusty, pun-intended (see? this is why I can't have nice things).


Some notes: There's a pattern I made up for this. 9/13/7 for the first two stanzas. The middle stanza is 7/13/7. The final two stanzas are 7/13/9, with an extra 5/2 that should act like a 7 on its own. There's some rhymes involving the last words of each stanza. I like the symmetry/asymmetry of it all. Just like hesitation.

***

On Hesitation

You are tea that refuses to steep,
In your reluctant frown as you stare down on hardwood.
Denial is best served cold.

You are dough that refuses to proof
And instead you did drape me in your linen of fears
In darkness, like cheese in mold.

You are baked clay that cracks to the touch,
The acrylic on canvas with a finicky dry,
A faltering melody forlorn,

You're ship that never seeks port,
The horizon that avoids the navigator's touch,
Entreat your soul shall my eyes adorn?

You are the always elsewhere.
And yet I still cling on to that hem of a chance that
I will be always elsewhere with you.

I let you simmer
And we stew.

***

"Tu peux rester couché pour poursuivre ton rêve ou te lever pour le réaliser."

***

File under: Beat#0002 - Wait Up (Boots of Danger) - Tokyo Police Club (Memphis Industries)

Last.fm Popularity: 718, 810 listeners

Why music bloggers would like it: The Ontario four-piece created a song with an upticked tempo matched with youthful vocals and lyricism, backed up with championing "woo hoo" hooks. It's freewheeling, often a full-blown wide-eyed naivete, but the beauty lies in the hints of hesitation in the voice and lyrics.

Why I really like it: I discovered it on the Teen Wolf soundtrack. Back then, I found it so different than the rest of the other songs in the soundtrack. The style of lyricism is wonderful (super love the lyrics on this one, but I don't know what the song is really about). My personal reading of it is of young almost lovers that seem on the brink, which seems relatable to me, to say the least.

Fave lyrics:
"Wait up, you never get nervous anymore."

If you liked this, you might also like:
Haus - Oberhofer (Glassnote Entertainment Group LLC)
Your Ex-Lover is Dead - Stars (Arts & Crafts International)

0 comments:

Post a Comment