Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Badger Eats || Gayuma Ni Maria's Desserts - Badger Beat #0010 -Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean

So it's been a week or so hiatus for Badger Beats. I haven't been feeling well, so I decided to not write for a bit. But no worries, I'm back for more, and we'll start this return from my hiatus with some Badger Eats. Today, we feature a little Maginhawa street classic, Gayuma ni Maria, and their sinfully good desserts.



Gayuma ni Maria is pretty interesting because of the theme of the place, which is essentially love and sexuality. Particularly, all the names of all the dishes here are aptly named with either romance-related or sexually-charged appellations. In the past, these names include N.B.S.B (No Boyfriend Since Birth) which is a pesto spaghetti dish, as well as Tall, Dark and Handsome, which was a chocolate dessert.


Last Friday, I brought my friend Karen to Gayuma ni Maria. We ordered their Pumpkin Soup (Peek-a-Boo) and some pork ribs. But what I'm featuring here would be the desserts, which is something I've had in the past as well: Beats Sex Any Day, and Broken Promises.


I brought Lance here a year ago, and I think we ordered the same desserts. We even played with some of the card games that the restaurant lets you borrow if you want to do something while waiting.

I also brought 'te Rach and Kezzy too on separate occasions, ordering the same desserts. We used to always get Broken Promises. Kezzy and I even bonded over electric candelight.


Description: Broken Promises (which for some reason has been renamed True Love) is essentially a dessert constructed out of jammed together crinkles, topped with some sort of marshmallow cream. Beats Sex Any Day is essentially Broken Promises, but instead of the crinkles base, it has a moist chocolate cake base. They're essentially the same dessert, but with different textures.

Judgment: There's a reason why I've been a repeat customer. I've brought a lot of friends here already because of the awesome desserts, albeit rather pricy. I love the names of all the food here.


***

File under: Beat#0010 - Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean (The Island Def Jam Music Group)

Last.fm Popularity: 747,384 listeners

Why music bloggers would like it: This record is more than just a sexy jam. It has a bewitching beat, thanks to vaporous keyboards and buzzing synth cycles, all complemented by Frank Ocean's delicate and endearing falsetto. This is R&B at its purest without being excessively saccharine.

Why I really like it: I just think it's such a progressive beat, from a progressive artist like Frank Ocean. I love his voice. I love his flow.

Fave lyrics:
"Or do you not think so far ahead?
'Cause I been thinkin' 'about forever."

If you liked this, you might also like:
Body Party - Ciara (Epic Records)
All That Matters - Justin Bieber (The Island Def Jam Music Group)

0 comments:

Post a Comment